Thursday, April 29, 2010

tour-de-sikkim. part II

.. Well yeah, another trip to Sikkim is on the cards now. Its been due for quite some time.


Been almost a year since i have actually seen a snow clad mountain peak or felt the fresh air around, forget about being there !! 

I keep browsing through my photograph archives.. collection since i was bitten by this travel bug ..maybe reliving those moments. Huh, years are passing too fast for me. So many mountains to cover, so little time left.


The whole point behind writing all these is I'm visiting North-Sikkim in ten days from now. So u know the countdown has already began. The plan took shape in such a fast pace that the excitement is yet to sink in. North-Sikkim is such a divine place. It has something in store for every season. Snow, flowers and beautiful terrain. Every inch of the whole place is mesmerizing. Any photography enthusiast's dream destination.


My tour itinerary has the Gurudongmar lake.
For the lesser mortals here are some handy information for quick reference - "Gurudongmar Lake (also known as Gurudogmar Lake) is one of the highest lakes in the world located at an altitude of 17,100 feet (5,148 m). It lies on the North side of the Khangchengyao Range in a high plateau area contiguous to the Tibetan Plateau. The stream emerging from the lake is one of the source-streams of the Tista River."
The terrain around is often compared with Tso-moriri Ladakh.
This is what Wiki has to say about the terrain of the place  "Due to the extremely inhospitable terrain and the difficulties associated with reaching the place, the lake sees only a handful of visitors each year" 

A fellow traveller has told me "At North-Sikkim the journey is the destination. Enjoy every moment" :)


Thank you all who have shared their pictures with me to be posted in by blog.  Its time now to post my own. Thank You once again.
Amen.




6 comments:

Sourav said...

Enjoy Madi !!! :)

trekkinginsikkim said...

Namaste from Yak and Yeti Travels, Sikkim. I am Satish Bardewa. I enjoyed reading your trip plan and understand your feeling that you are longing to catch up the mountain air and the snow mountains.

As a Sikkimese, I am glad to welcome you to Sikkim. I read that you wish to visit Gurudongmar as it is in your travel itinerary. Only the person from India, Bhutan and Nepal can visit Gurudongmar lake and for citizens other than from the above Countries cannot visit Gurudongmar lake officially.
I would like to inform you to revise or re- your travel itinerary with the person whoever suggested you to visit Gurudongmar lake in North Sikkim. Please take my feed back positively. I also wish it was open to visit for everyone on Earth!

Best wishes,

Satish Bardewa, Yak and Yeti Travels, Sikkim.

Unknown said...

Another trip to bask in the glory of nature. i'm sure it'll be a wonderful journey and a memorable one. wish evn i could join you.. take care n enjoy your trip... :)

s o v i e k said...

@Satish Bardewa.
Namaste. I understand your concern. And it was very nice of you to find my blog, read my plan & finally taking the pain to comment on it. I really appreciate your effort. I agree with you that Gurudongmar lake should be open for everyone on earth. But this is for your information that myself and people accompanying me are all Indian by birth & hence Indian citizens. So i don't think visiting Gurudongmar would be an issue for us.
Thank You.

Anonymous said...

there is no beauty like a rugged less hospitable terrain, my favourite. :)

Shantanu said...

Happy PANTING!!! Considering you have not done any workout for your stamina.
Or is it going to be a car-trek? :P